Saturday, July 18, 2009

Happy Birthday, cupcake!

Hi Friends,
Today I wanted to share this fun cupcake card. I made it using the Sizzix 3D Pop-up ball. It is so much fun! I played with it myself loads of times! I've had this die for a few months, but just started using it. Let me share the deets with ya:

Top view:


Up close: I used the candle from the cake die & added yellow stickles to the flame. I also added yellow ric rack as a decorative element around the cupcake.

Unlike the cake die, this ball die is perfect for a card because it truly goes flat & then it springs back up into a ball--- like magic! Everyone gets a kick out of it, so it's fun for all ages. Everyone wanted to know how I did it, but a magician never reveals her secrets (wink wink!) Except if you peek at my blog, of course!

Here's how I decorated the front of the card. Just kept it simple, since the inside was the star of the show! I used the candle border punch along the top & added yellow stickles to the flames as well. The little cupcake is a punch & it gives a little clue about what's inside!

To close the card: At first, I just wrapped it closed with ribbon, but I wasn't satisfied with that.

So I played around and created an envelope instead. I just eyeballed it & I didn't measure. So I don't have measurements for you- sorry. But when I make the next one, I'll pay more attention so I'll post it next time. To create a card to fit the ball, you'll need the paper to be 6 1/2" x 12".

TIPS: You will need three #16 rubber bands which are not included with the die. I bought mine at Staples for $1.69 for a bag full. You will also need strong adhesive like Scor-tape or Red line tape. I also recommend using the Extended Crease Pad since the score marks are very faint without it, but are very important for proper assembly.

I noticed it was in the new SU! catalog, but I paid less for it here. However, SU! does have a good video that shows how to put it together. You can check that out here. I love these 3D dies! I have a few of them & will have to play with them more often. So many toys, so little time!

What do you think of my cupcake? If you're one of my blog "followers", I'd be happy to send you the pieces of this die so you can "try before you buy" and get some play time with it. It's a super fun die, so I'm sure you will love it! Just shoot me an e-mail & I will get the pieces out to you.

Thanks for peeking today! I'm off to my LSS for a big SALE--Gotta go!



The 411
Paper: Bazzil Cardstock, confetti paper- Doodlebug Designs
Ink: Bashful Blue- SU!
Tools: Sizzix 3D Ball Die, Cupcake punch- EK Success, Candles Border Punch- EK Success
Other: Ribbon, Ric Rack, Foam Thickers- American Crafts, Vellum Stickers, Glitter Birthday Stickers, Yellow Stickles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment :) So appreciated!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin