Friday, July 31, 2009

Organization: Embossing folders

Hi friends,
Today I want to share how I organize my embossing folders. I luuuuuv embossing & these folders make it
quick & easy to do! I have a few ;) so let's get on with the deets:

I began with a bare wooden box I got from Michaels for around $3 (with coupon.)

I painted it white & then added Tim Holtz Distress Crackle paint on some of the surfaces to give it that look of "I've had this for years." (It looks soooo cool!) I didn't want to do anything else to it-- just kept it clean & simple.
A little closer look:
I took inspiration from my SU! Swatch Book


to create a swatch book of my embossing folders.

I punched them out on white CS ('cause I've got loads of it & you can see the embossing really well on white.) & put them on an O-ring. The swatches are numbered & correspond with the number on each folder. (It is very helpful to also write the name of the folder.)
I printed the numbers on clear labels so the number was visible, but didn't block out any of the pattern. (I simply wrote it on the card before embossing.)


Another plus of having swatches is that I can see (at a glance) all the patterns I have & can easily choose the one I want. I also get to see the embossed & the debossed side as well. The numbering system makes it very simple to both find & put away folders.


As you can see, it all fits nicely into this little box.
As I get more folders I add the next number label & swatch and add it to my stash.

Now I have a little surprise for ya :) Here's a sneak peek at the new Cuttlebug Embossing folders being released. (click on the pic to see greater detail.)They are: 30.Victoria, 31.Fleur de Lis, 32.Morrocan Screen, 33.Diamond Plate, 34.Harlequin, 35.Herringbone, & 36.Stars.


These are the folders for a full A2 card. They are: (top)Flourished Frame, (left)Celtic Knot, (mid)Journaling Card, & (Rt)Owl Flourish.

Aren't they awesome!! I was so excited to see all these great designs! Seriously, it's so hard to pick a favorite one. Be on the lookout for these and they are available for pre-order at many online stores.

I hope this inspires you to think of ways to maximize organization of your toys. Thanks so much for taking a peek! We're going to the Bay Area for a few days & I've gotta get everyone packed up --- Gotta go!


Edited To Add: To answer a few questions...
YES! The new 5 x 7 embossing folders will fit in this box. They stick up a little out of the top, but since there's no lid, there's no problem :)

This box is in the wood crafts section of Michael's next to the recipe card, & file folder boxes. They're $5.99 each. (but I used a coupon :)

37 comments:

  1. Karli, you are amazing! What a great aystem! And thanks for the peeks! Of course, I want them all!
    Have fun in the Bay area and hope you have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karli, what a great filing system you have here! I might need to 'steal' the idea! Especially the swatch book!! I pre-ordered my new CB embossing folders and can hardly wait till they get here! I guess I have a Cuttlebug obsession! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, Karli...what an awesome idea! I love the swatch book with the corresponding numbers. I like having everything organized and at my fingertips so I can quickly see what I have. Thanks for sharing! Have a great weekend in the Bay area :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute! Thanks for sharing. I don't have that many folders yet, but it's nice to get some ideas because you know it's just a matter of time! LOL.

    Oh P.S. It's Tim Holtz, not Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love the swatch idea and now know what I'll be doing this weekend! Thanks for sharing such a terrific idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great idea! and thanks for the explaination and showing how you did it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love it! i can several ones to add to my collection!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your embossing folders organization- and thanks for the new sneak peaks- awesome folders!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I truly like your Embossing folder organization....I think I have finally found a system I can live with ....and expandable.....TFS

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a brilliant idea!!!!! I am always organzing my scrap/craft room and always forget what I have in my folders. I think I might have to use your idea if that is okay? Just love how easy that it would be to pull out the tags and look at what folders I have. Thanks for the new sneak peeks of the folders..when do they become available?

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is GENIUS!!! No wonder your a teacher!! I am going to do this tomorrow! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea and I love your blog! I just "favorited" you :) What will you do with the new Christmas cuttlebug folders that are 5x7? Will they fit in that same crate?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great organizing idea! And thanks for enticing us with the new folders!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea!! I love searching your blog-so many new and wonderful things. What a great way to start out the week!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I hate you....lol, jk! You are a girl after my own heart. I am an organizing junkie and sometimes spend more time getting things in order and not enough time with my papercrafts. Love your blog and will add it to my favorites! Thanks for sharing. Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're so organised...think I will have to make a little swatch of the embossing folder designs too...thanks for such a wonderful idea

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great idea! I have just started with the embossing and only have a few right now, but I was wondering how to organize these. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great idea!
    Thanks!
    hugs of Brazil
    Márcia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your swatch book is a great idea. Wish michaels would open a branch in the uk :-) maddy x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful idea, I,m gonna try it.xxx Bueno

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome idea! I so want to do this, just have to find the time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great idea !!!! LOVE the Celtic Knot....Thanks for some great Monday Inspiration !!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this idea, especially of making the tags and adding the corresponding #. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just ran across this post on Pinterest. I had started mine with each folder embossed on paper and was trying to keep them alpha by the name of the folder, doesn't work, they are out of order right away! I hadn't thought to just number them and correspond the number on the embossed paper, duh! So simple, sometimes things stare us in the face and we try to make life so hard. Off to number them now, thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  25. A girlfriend sent me a link to this article on your blog 'cause she said it reminded her of me. *smile* I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your organization idea as I'm getting my craft stuff organized in a little studio shed my mother had built for me this last Valentine's Day. I will certainly be using your idea for the tags on a ring.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I found this link on the Scrap Happens blog. Wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello! I just found this via Pinterest. Awesome idea! Love the Distress painted effect on your box. I'm going to have to look for one of these boxes next time I'm in M's.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this idea on organinzing my folders. Will be using it this weekend as I reorganize my craft room from this falls craft shows.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Found you via Pinterest. What a great idea! Plus taking the tags to the craft store will help avoid buying duplicates :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. This such a great idea, I h ave my embossing folders in a drawer and can never find the one i want quickly! I am doing this one today!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Karli,
    I have been following your blog for sometime now and have to say, "WOW" You are so talented and creative!!! Thanks for sharing!!
    Gay Ferland
    gay_ferland@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm going to do this. Such a waste of time to go through my stack looking for one. I've tried to categorize by theme but they end up mixed up altogether anyway. This way I can have a title tab and go directly to birthdays, Christmas, flowers, etc. Thankx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great Idea and probably would work with cutting dies as well. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a great idea, well actually two ideas. First the numbering of the embossing folders and then the swatch book on a ring. Way cool. Any ideas for the little tiny embossing folders that are less than an inch wide?

    ReplyDelete
  35. I have a similar system, but yours looks so much better than mine! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for the tip (sorry just seeing it in 2019) but it is a great idea. I like embossing but don't use them as often as I should or would like to because I forget about them. With this system, I won't. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love this idea, too. Nov. 12, 2019 and you are still going! Yay, you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment :) So appreciated!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin